Wednesday, July 1, 2009

We didn't start a fire....

Well, actually, we did. Tonight, Len was cooking dinner when all of a sudden, the oil from the salmon dripped on to the coils of the (STUPID) electric oven, and as you can imagine, what occured was fire. Amelia--> terrified. She is scared of fire and all things fire (fire alarms, the red button in the elevator to call for firemen, fireplaces, talking about fire, smoke, etc.)

I once started a fire in the microwave while attemping to sanitize my sponges. (Don't ask.) She didn't stop talking about it for weeks. So tonight, the dinner conversation was 100% all about the fire. Was the fire gone? Where did it go? How did it start? What happened? Would it come back? What happens if there is a fire? Is the oven still on? What caught fire? Is the turkey okay? Can I see the fish? Is it ruined? Is that smoke? Is it still hot?




Not much eating was done, as you can imagine. I actually tried to bribe her ("eat a bite of your turkey and I'll tell you about the fire for the 97th time") which I realize is a bad idea on so many levels, but man I was tired of talking flames and I knew she was hungry. On the upside, though, now Len is the firestarter, not me!

Oh, and she got her appetite back for a cookie before bed, so never fear.

As an aside, why is fish so freakin' expensive? It was like 10 bucks for just enough salmon for me and Len. I am annoyed that eating healthy costs way more than eating junky. I guess I have to think long-term health rather than short-term cost cutting. Annoying, though. Amelia can actually have fish, says her allergist, but I have yet to feed it to her because I am hella neurotic and scared to introduce a highly-allergenic food even if I'm told it is okay. I have offered her some of ours but I am always confident she'll say "No, thanks" and so far she has. Stay tuned, though, we'll get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment