Friday, July 3, 2009

Picnic festivites & blueberry muffins

Today I took Amelia and Baby John to a playdate at Sophie's house. Sophie has a baby sister, Isolde, who is only a month older than John so that makes it fun for everyone -- me included. I am giving myself a pat on the back for going out with two kids, as I'm still kind of nervous about that, and for not having a heart attack during our picnic lunch when Sophie, hands all sticky with cream cheese, kept trying to hand Amelia blueberries. Luckily no cross-contamination occurred, only because Amelia didn't want the blueberries in the first place.

I didn't say anything (as in, "Sophie, if you have cream cheese on your hands don't touch something Amelia might eat because she's allergic") because I was sure Amelia wouldn't eat them in the first place, although in hindsight I should have said something after all. Hm. Next time I need to be ready if that happens again!

Regardless, we all had fun and there were no problems. Highlight: the girls playing on the slip 'n' slide. So fun!

Also I made some more blueberry muffins (from my cooking bible, the FAAN Allergy-Free Cookbook). Finally fresh blueberries are in season and not obscenely costly. Frozen ones taste fine but when you mix the batter it turns it all purple, whereas that doesn't happen with the fresh ones.

Blueberry Muffins
1/2 cup milk-free, soy-free margarine at room temperature (note: I took ours out of the freezer and therefore had to microwave it to get it soft enough, which I think makes for a slightly less successful muffin)
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. water, 3 Tbsp. oil, 2 tsp. baking powder; mixed together
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups blueberries (frozen are fine but let them defrost first)
1 Tbsp. sugar mixed with 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (I don't do this step btw!!)

Preheat oven to 375. Line muffin tin with paper liners. In a medium-size bowl, beat margarine until creamy. Beat in the sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in water, oil, and baking powder. Add vanilla, remaining baking powder, and salt.

Fold in half the flour and half the water with a spatula. Add remaining flour and water. Fold in blueberries. Scoop batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg-sugar (if you are doing this step). Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let muffins cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment