Monday, July 6, 2009

The first recipe I ever memorized

I feel like a old-fashioned cook because I can now easily make biscuits from scratch without consulting the recipe.

Baking Powder Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup oil (I use Crisco Canola oil)

Preheat oven to 450. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together oil and water, then add to the dry mixture. Stir just until all the ingredients are blended, then remove the dough from the bowl and place on a floured surface. Knead about 20 (approx.) times, added more flour if it gets too sticky. Then roll out (I just pat with my hands) and use a small cup to cut out biscuits. Place on a ungreased baking pan and bake about 10-12 minutes, until the biscuits are slightly browned.

Easy! Yummy! Someday Amelia will love these (hopefully). Come on, what's not to like? But for now she may just have a nibble or two only when her favorite stuff (turkey, raisins, grapes) are all done and she is still hungry. That's okay, though; I like these, as does Len. As Len once joked, how come we're trying to fatten up our daughter and instead we're the ones getting big?

No comments:

Post a Comment