Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What to Do With a Well-Meaning Mother-in-Law?

My mother-in-law is very, very nice. She loves the grandkids. She really wants Amelia baby J to be happy and healthy. What is she not so hot at? READING LABELS AND BEING AWARE OF POTENTIAL ALLERGENS. We bumped into her and grandpa yesterday at the Farmer's Market, and to cheer Amelia up (bee phobia), grandma gave Amelia a lollipop that one of the stands was giving away. But she didn't ask me if it was okay, nor did she read the label. In a stroke of really good luck, it was the brand that Amelia's okay eating (Dum-Dums). But still... .

So, when your mother-in-law does something you're not comfortable with, and it pertains to a safety issue, what do you do? I did the "whoa, hey, let's not forget to read labels next time first!" (trying for a jokey and casual voice) thing, but I don't know if that was effective or just went in one ear and out the other. I keep hoping she'll "get it" but we've had quite a few of these close calls (closer than this, which wasn't too bad) which I catch and fix without making a fuss, but is that the best strategy? I'm stumped, and worried the next time I may not be there. This is why I won't let her cook for Amelia or be in charge of any meals other than a snack I send over.

Or maybe that's okay -- I am her mom and it's my job to feed her, not anyone else's. Grandma's around to be a loving and fun presence (which she is).

No comments:

Post a Comment