Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Gerber Cereal: FAIL!

My mother-in-law stopped by with some baby food for John recently. One of the items she bought was a box of Gerber's "single grain" oatmeal cereal. Single grain my foot. Soy oil-lecithin is the third ingredient (after, thankfully, oat flour). That's just gross, and weird. Why the soy? For flavor? Bulk? A cheap filler? Whatever the reason, I'll pass. I realize most soy-allergic people are not allergic to soy oil or soy lecithin (Amelia included) but there's still no reason to add anything to a single grain baby food other than the grain, and some vitamins/minerals (a key one being iron, which babies need).

Gerber in general has always bugged me. Maybe because they seem to own the market due to sheer advertising muscle. But two different nutritionists I know say they prefer Beech-Nut. And I also like Earth's Best. Regardless, this is not cool. Gerber: FAIL!

No comments:

Post a Comment