Saturday, August 22, 2009

Soy Confusing!

You know what's weird? That people with soy allergies can eat soy lecithin and soybean oil. I guess those two soy products have been broken down so much that the body can't "recognize" that it is actually soy, and won't react with an assault.

Anyway, when I read a label and the allergen statement says "contains SOY" I put it down and move along. But then Amelia asked for animal crackers (where did she even learn what those were?) I figured I'd start looking to see if we could find an okay brand for her. Barnum's Animal Crackers seemed to fit the bill -- it had the "contains SOY" labeling so I'd never bought them for her before, but upon further review, the only soy was the above-mentioned soy lecithin and soybean oil. It was confusing, though -- why was the company labeling for soy as an allergen if the only soy was the okay kind? I even ran it by Amelia's dietitian, who gave us the okay, so we let Amelia have some of these last week. She liked them okay but didn't seem to be in love, but I think she was really happy that she asked for a certain food and was able to have it. Of course, her dad and I devoured the whole stupid bag of them on a recent long drive. Argh.

No comments:

Post a Comment