Monday, November 30, 2009

Kraft Foods-- this time you FAIL!

A while back, I sung the praises of Kraft Foods for their excellent labeling. Not so fast!

A few days ago, Amelia asked if we could buy her graham crackers (I think they served them at school but she couldn't have them at the time because of her soy allergy), so since she can have soy now, we said yes. I went online and checked out Honey Maid Graham Crackers -- which, as you can see, from the ingredient listing (ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, GRAHAM FLOUR (WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR), SOYBEAN OIL, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, HONEY, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SOY LECITHIN-AN EMULSIFIER, CORNSTARCH) contains wheat and soy but no other top-8 allergens. Since it's the top graham cracker brand (or it seems to be, from all their marketing and shelf-hogging at the supermarket) and part of Kraft, I felt pretty confident that if the label didn't list a food, it wasn't in there.

I did one last scan of the box before I gave it to her, and noticed the Kosher Dairy symbol on the front (meaning in some way, shape, or form, there is dairy in this box). Super annoying and frustrating! I sent them an e-mail and I'll update when I hear back from them, but with a major food company like this, if there's some trace amount of dairy in their food, they should tell people.

Can you see the D on the front of the box? Grrr. It should be an "F" because Kraft, YOU FAIL!

No comments:

Post a Comment